Everest Base Camp Trek via Gokyo Lake is one the world’s most beautiful high altitude treks. This trek takes you to Gokyo Lake and the glacier around Gokyo Ri. The summit climb of Gokyo Ri is very satisfying for most of the trekkers. From Gokyo Ri you will enjoy a fantastic views of the entire Himalayan mountain range including Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, Pumori, Amadablam and Thamserkhu. Gokyo Valley is usually less crowded than Everest base camp and offers an alternative trekking route to Everest Base Camp. The views that you see from Gokyo valley is not only exceptionally beautiful and but also more distinct, despite being slightly far in distance.
We take a scenic flight to Lukla and then start our trek up the Dudh Koshi river valley until we reach Phakding. Next morning we set off for Namche Bazaar, a large Sherpa market town, having passed through the Sagarmatha National Park, Sherpa villages, and monasteries on the way. We spend one more extra day in Namche Bazaar for acclimatization and to do some exploring of nearby schools and mountain vistas. Then, the trek continues along high mountain trail towards Gokyo valley.
From Machhermo we head up to Gokyo village, which takes more than a couple of hours to reach. We will walk up to the valley and check in a lodge near the Lake for overnight stay. There are six lakes in the Gokyo region, but the sixth one is too far and requires a day hike to the north
Leaving Machhermo village, the trail begins to ascend beside the glacier. Gently we will climb on stone steps that rise beside a cliff on one side and then descend steeply to the rapids below on the other side. Once up over this you are rewarded with views of the first lake of Gokyo valley. The water of the lake is glacial melt, in bright aqua bluish green and the near barren fields nearby are endowed with stone cairns. It will take an hour and a half to cross the Ngozumpa glacier. Thangna is a mostly flat walk from here.
We begin our day early for Cho la Pass. It is going to be a long day. Cho la Pass is right behind Thangna. The ascent has a lot of rubble and scree. After crossing the Cho la Pass we make a steep descent to Dzongla. You’ll see Ama Dablam’s front view on this day
It will be a 3 hour walk to Labuche mostly on a flat trail but at quite an higher altitude. From Gorakshep, you will set off for Everest Base Camp. The climb is fairly moderate, though the moraines are slippery and the ridge bordering Khumbu glacier is very windy.
Our return trekking journey we stop by Pheriche village and Namche Bazaar before heading down to Lukla and catch flight back to Kathmandu. This trek is the perfect opportunity to explore the lake at the highest elevation, unique lifestyle of the Himalayan people, their religion, customs and traditions in the Everest Region.
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu & transfer to Hotel (1,300m/4,265ft)
- Day 02: Sightseeing and trip preparation in Kathmandu
- Day 03: Fly to Lukla (2,800m/9,186ft) and trek to Phakding (2,651m/8,697ft)
- Day 04: Phakding to Namche Bazar (3,440m/11,286ft)
- Day 05: Namche bazaar acclimatization day and hike to Syangbuche (3,780m/12,401ft) for the view of Everest/Amadablam/Makalu/Lhotse, Nuptse and other Peaks.
- Day 06: Trek to Doley (4,048m/13,280ft)
- Day 07: Trek to Machhermo (4,465m/14,648ft)
- Day 08: Trek to Gokyo Lake (4,750m/15,583ft)
- Day 09: Exploration in Gokyo Lake or climb Gokyo ri (5,357m/17,575ft)
- Day 10: Trek to Thangna (4,700m/15,583ft)
- Day 11: Trek to Zongla (4,830m/15,846ft) via Cho La Pass (5,420m/17,782ft)
- Day 12: Trek to Lobuche (4,910m/16,108ft)
- Day 13: Lobuche to Evrest Base Camp (5,360m/17,585ft) then back to GorakShep (5,170m/16,961ft)
- Day 14: Hike up to Kalapattar (5,545m/18192ft) trek back to Pheriche (4,250m/13,943ft)
- Day 15: Pheriche to Namche Bazar (3,440m/11,286ft)
- Day 16: Trek to Lukla (2,800m/9,186ft)
- Day 17: Fly back to Kathmandu (1,300m/4,265ft)
- Day 18: Final Departure
- International and domestic airport transfers
- 3 Nights hotel accommodation in Kathmandu with breakfast
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Necessary transportation cost
- Both way air ticket Kathmandu-Lukla-Kathmandu
- Khumbu Pasang Lamu VDC charge & national park fee
- An english speaking trekking guide
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch and dinner with tea, coffee & hot water
- Wages, equipment, food, medical insurances for all involved staff
- Necessary porters
- Duffel bag
- First aid medical kit
- A farewell dinner in a typical Nepali restaurant in Kathmandu
- Nepal entry visa fee
- International airfare
- Lunch and dinner during your stay in Kathmandu
- Phone call, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, mineral water, hot shower and tips
- Travel Insurance and High Altitude Insurance (Accident, Medical and Rescue)